"If change is the only constant, let's get better at it."
Jenny Blake is the author of Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One. I invited her to come on UNLEASHED (at work & home) because we're all in state of flux these days. Every pet professional is being asked to change standard ways of doing business, and it's stressful. But it can also be exciting.
Jenny likes to think of this as "radical reimagining." What possibilities do you see when you lean into your intuition and judgment?
Gavin de Becker's book, The Gift of Fear, does a great job of explaining how your senses are always communicating with you to keep you safe--when you don't override them with logic or a need to be perceived as nice or polite.
You know the power of these gifts. You need to rely them daily in your work with animals. But do you trust them to guide you in your interactions with other people? With yourself?
Sometimes you'll get caught in a frustrating loop, wondering "What is wrong with me? Shouldn't I be happy?" You may even get sucked into a spiral of guilt or feel powerless to make changes.
You don't need to feel guilty. And you aren't powerless.
During this time of tremendous change, take this opportunity to explore what you want for your life ... and what's getting in the way.
Jenny and I discussed the power of Byron Katie's books, including Loving What Is and A Mind at Home with Itself. Byron Katie is most known for her four pivotal questions that can help you shift your mindset and discover new options:
- Is it true?
- Can you absolutely know that it’s true?
- How do you react when you believe that thought?
- Who would you be without the thought?
Becoming more aware of your thoughts (whew, so many thoughts!!!!) and learning to broaden your perspective are two of the most valuable life skills anyone can develop. If you'd like some support with this, let's talk!
Links worth Clicking
- Check out Jenny's website PivotMethod.com, her Pivot podcast, and her free mini-course, Free Up Founder's Time
- While we were talking, these episodes of UNLEASHED (at work & home) came to my mind:
- Approximations w/ Ryan Cartilidge,
- Control w/ Casey McGee,
- Curiosity w/ Zazie Todd,
- Exploration w/ Sheila Newenham,
- Reinvention w/ Karen Sinovich, and
- Second Chances w/ Kim Imel. Check them out!